In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 The 5:18)
Here is a quick perusal of some of the New Testament occurrences of thankful moments:
- Six times, thankfulness is expressed to the Lord for our daily food (Mat 15:36; Mar 8:6; Joh 6:11, 13; Act 27:35; 1 Cor 10:30; 14:17). Once, thankfulness is expressed in connection with the Lord’s Supper (Mat 26:27; Mar 14:23; Luk 22:17–19; 1 Cor 11:24).
- Thankfulness for heard/answered prayer (Joh 11:41).
- Thankfulness at the sight of fellow believers (Act 28:15).
- Thankfulness at the faith of believers proclaimed (Rom 1:8).
- Thankfulness expressed by gospel behavior (Rom 14:6; Col 3:17; 1 The 5:18).
- Thankfulness for other faithful believers (Rom 16:4; Phm 4).
- Thankfulness for the churches of Christ (1 Cor 1:4; Eph 1:16; Phi 1:3; Col 1:3; 1 The 1:2; 2 The 1:3).
- Thankfulness for avoiding the possibility of accusation (1 Cor 1:14).
- Thankfulness for spiritual giftedness (1 Cor 14:17).
- Thankfulness for the Lord’s favor (2 Cor 1:11).
- Thankfulness is expressed when gratitude is infused in the public ministry of the church (Eph 5:20).
- Thankfulness for a believer’s inheritance of glory (Col 1:12).
- Thankfulness for the work and election of the salvation in another’s heart (1 The 2:13; 2 The 2:13).
- Thankfulness for enlarging a church’s faith and love to one another (2 The 1:3).
- Thankfulness for the day when God takes to Himself the intervention of His reign of the earth (Rev 11:17).
Perhaps, you need to command yourself during this season of life. The Psalmist certainly did. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. (Psa 103:1)